A New England holiday favorite is back and bigger than ever. The ninth season of A Christmas Celtic Sojourn with Brian O'Donovan kicks off December 9, 7:30 p.m. at the Hanover Theatre in Worcester. A Christmas Celtic Sojourn with Brian O'Donovan features an ensemble cast that offers an intimate sharing of Christmas music, dancing, songs and stories in the Celtic tradition. In years past, the show has received rave reviews playing to a series of sold-out houses around New England. Tickets are at www.wgbh.org/celtic, charge by phone at 877/571-SHOW (7469), or at the Hanover Theatre Box Office.
A Christmas Celtic Sojourn with Brian O'Donovan will feature a variety of singers, musicians and dancers steeped in Celtic tradition. The cast will include:
· The wonderful Canadian singer Ruth Moody who is part of the trio The Wailin' Jennys, now such a staple on Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion
· Hanneke Cassel, who was a big hit in the 2010 concert, has re-assembled the group Halali, with Laura Cortese, Lissa Schneckenburger and guitarist FLynn Cohen.
· Simon Chrisman who is part of the up and coming act The Bee Eaters will bring a new instrument to the show, the Hammer Dulcimer
· The Uilleann Pipes will be featured for the first time on the show played by newcomer Kieran O'Hare.
· Multi-instrumentalist Seamus Egan of Solas will again be back on stage and, and again in his role as music director.
· Seamus will be joined by long time collaborators Chico Huff on acoustic bass, and new to Christmas Celtic this year, percussionist Ben Wittman who has recorded with to name a few, Rosanne Cash, Eileen Ivers, Paul Simon, Laurie Anderson.
· Kevin Doyle, will make his return to Christmas Celtic this year not just as the spectacular dancer he is, but as the dance director and is already busy working with a young group from the Harney Academy of Walpole who have become a fixture in the show.
· Paula Plum returns as the artistic director for her ninth year
"A Christmas Celtic Sojourn grew out of a very simple idea - to replicate the gatherings we share at the holidays," said Brian O'Donovan. "We look forward to inviting everyone to our celebration, where we will share some songs, tell a few stories and dance, just as you would do with your family and friends."
O'Donovan is the host of the weekly radio show A Celtic Sojourn airing Saturday afternoons from 3pm -6pm on WGBH in Boston. The show regularly explores music from the Celtic countries and England. Since Celtic Pagan and Christian traditions have a very strong link to the music of this season, national broadcasts of the Christmas edition of A Celtic Sojourn over the past 25 years have proven extraordinarily popular. The Christmas Celtic Sojourn theatrical series was first launched in 2003. The live show reflects the easy, relaxed and diverse offerings of the yearly national radio program.
In addition to the show in Worcester, A Christmas Celtic Sojourn will return to Boston, MA, Portsmouth, NH and for the first time will be performed in New Bedford, MA and the stunning Shalin Liu Centre in Rockport, MA.
The full 2011 schedule of A Christmas Celtic Sojourn is as follows:
· Friday, December 9, 7:30PM: Hanover Theatre - Worcester, MA
· Saturday, December 10, 3PM and 8PM: The Music Hall - Portsmouth, NH
· Sunday, December 11, 7PM: Zeiterion Theatre - New Bedford, MA
· Wednesday, December 14: Shalin Liu Performance Centre - Rockport, MA
· Friday, December 16th, 8PM: Cutler Emerson Majestic Theatre- Boston, MA
· Saturday, December 17: 3PM and 8PM, Cutler Emerson Majestic Theatre - Boston, MA
· Sunday, December 18: 1PM and 5PM, Cutler Emerson Majestic Theatre - Boston, MA
A Christmas Celtic Sojourn with Brian O'Donovan will be performed Friday, Dec. 9, 7:30pm at the Hanover Theatre 2 Southbridge Street Worcester, MA. Ticket prices range from $25 to $75, (TV/Radio Station member discounts apply.) Tickets are at www.wgbh.org/celtic, charge by phone at 877/571-SHOW (7469), or at the Hanover Theatre Box Office. Information on all other shows is also available online at www.wgbh.org/celtic